What is neuromuscular massage therapy and Why go to a registered massage therapist?
You have ongoing aches and pain from an injury (work/sports/accident related injury), or you've been diagnosed with tendonitis/tendinitis e.g. of the neck, shoulders, elbows; or you've been
diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome or some other repetitive stress injury -- these are some of the reasons why people may be referred to a neuromuscular massage therapist by their family doctor.
So what does a massage therapist do? First lets look at some definitions:
- massage: "...manipulation of tissues (as by rubbing, stroking, kneading, or tapping) with the hand or an insturment for remedial or hygenic purposes
" [p.412 Webster's medical desk dictionary / Merriam-Webster Inc. 1986 ISBN 0-8-1779-025-6 ]
- neuromuscular "...of or related to nerves and muscles; esp: jointly involving nervous and muscular elements (~ disease)
" [p.473 Webster's...]
- tendonitis-tendinitis "...inflammation of a tendon...
" [ p.707 Webster's Webster's medical desk dictionary...]
- inflammation "...a local response to cellular injury that is marked by capillary dilation, ... injury, redness, heat, pain swelling, and often loss of function and that serves as a
mechanism initiating the elimination of noxious agents and of damaged tissue
" [ p.335 Webster's Webster's medical desk dictionary...]
Collen F. Schmitt, R.M.T.
John D. Russell, R.M.T.
#308 - 4900 Kingsway
Canada, V5H 2E2
The Burnaby Neuromuscular Massage Clinic is located right next to the east side of METROTOWN mall, on the corner of Kingsway and Nelson
for more information about the MetroTown area of Burnaby - Greater Vancouver go to
Problems that the Neuromuscular Massage Clinic Therapists Treat Include:
Dizziness is a relatively common complaint which we see. I have recently had two, one related to a motor vehicle accident and the other was secondary to cervical tension. In both cases there was imbalance in the upper cervical spine with joint hypomobility at the C0-C1, and C1-C2 junctions. As well, myofascial tension in the surrounding soft tissues. This is relatively common for dizziness and then we assess for the reasons behind the upper cervical imbalances.
The jaw structure is also involved at times. We have had quite good success with dizziness although not everyone responds as there are causes not related to musculoskeletal.
We have treated people injured in motor vehicle accidents since 1989. The areas of injury are most commonly spinal, approximately evenly split between cervical/upper thoracic spine, and lumbar spine. Many patients will have symptoms in both areas. Ankle/knee and hip symptoms also occur as the force comes through the foot if the person has their foot on the brake. Shoulder and torso injuries occur as the person rotates around the shoulder harness.
Headaches commonly occur with the cervical injury as do TMJ injuries. We evaluate the patient as a functional unit as their ongoing cervical strain may be related to pelvic imbalance or loss of motion at their ankle joint. As an example I evaluated a patient who I had seen one week prior to her MVA, and the malalignment which was caused by the accident was throughout her entire body. When I saw her pre MVA she had no symptoms and her alignment was very good so it is interesting to see how the force through the car can disrupt functioning of the entire body even though they may only have symptoms in one area.
Professional Development & Continuing Education Training of our Registered Massage Therapists Include Workshops On:
- NEUROMUSCULAR THERAPY which uses soft tissue manipulation to restore balance and alignment to the body. As well, to release nerve entrapment, restore circulation, improve joint mobility and decrease trigger points. MUSCLE ENERGY technique is designed to restore proper joint mobility [spinal, pelvic, and peripheral].
MYOFASCIAL RELEASE which is a manual therapy to treat fascial tissues which have become shortened.
MUSCLE BALANCE AND FUNCTION exercise programs which are individualized exercise programs designed to restore alignment and a neutral centre of gravity. SOMATICS is a neuromuscular reeducation through exercise.
ACTIVE RELEASE is a precise form of soft tissue manipulation to elongate myofascial tissue, reduce adhesions, and release nerve entrapments. Colleen and I have also been international instructions for St. John Neuromuscular Therapy seminars, Muscle Balance and Function seminars and have assisted at Muscle Energy seminars.
- John Russel, RMT, is currently [in 2005] a second year student at the Canadian College of Osteopathy, a diploma program in Osteoapthy, and Colleen Schmitt is certified in Stott Pilates [mat and reformer].
For more information about massage therapy services in Vancouver and BC see also
College of Massage Therapists of B.C. / Massage Therapists Association of BC web site www.massagetherapy.bc.ca
Please note: the College's sections on "Complaints" and "Unauthorized Practice"
Back to top of page
Medical Doctors: Family Physicians / Medical WalkIn Clinics in Burnaby, BC Canada
Back to top of page
Dentists & Dental Services - Vancouver
- Vancouver's Broadway Centre Dental Group
- Dentists: Dr. Rob Aaronson, Dr. Avie Perel-Panar, Dr. Mike Oltean & Dr. Wayne Quong
- In addition to traditional preventive and restorative services, we offer the following:
- · Cosmetic dentistry-bleaching, porcelain veneers, bonding.
- · Prosthetics-crowns, bridges, implants, partial and complete dentures.
- · Option to replace silver fillings with gold or porcelain.
- · Periodontics-the treatment and maintenance of gums and supporting bone.
- · Endodontics-root canals.
- · General Anaesthesia-provided for selected patients.
- · Dental implants.
- · Bruxism-nightguards.
- · Treatment for snoring and sleep apnea.
- Broadway Dental Group Offices
- #1005 - 805 West Broadway
( 3 blocks from the Vancouver's general hospital complex )
- Vancouver, B.C.
V5Z 1K1, Canada
- Phone 604-873-4301
- Office hours:
Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Back to top of page
Lawyers for Pain & Suffering through Injuries from Accidents & ICBC Claims - Greater Vancouver
Unfortunately some injuries requiring the help of massage therapists, medical specialists and other rehabilitation practioners are
the result of "accidents" - and - a lawyer may need to be consulted to assess issues of liabilities/responsibilities and issues of
who is going to pay for all of this. Below are some lawyers you may wish to consult if you are in British Columbia, Canada.
- Litigation: Automobile Accidents, General, Labour Law
Sandra Banister, Barrister & Solicitor, Trial Lawyer
I.C.B.C. Accident Claims, Personal Injury Claims (Plaintif's Lawyer), Labour Law, General Law - initial consultation without charge
Address: 670 - 355 Burrard St. (the Marine Building)
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Toll Free: 1-877-662-7276
E-mail: Sandra Banister
Web Profile: for more information about this lawyer see Lawyers-BC.com profile on Sandra Banister as a personal inury laywer and a lawyer experienced in employment law e.g. wrongful dismissal, administrative tribunal plaintif's lawyer.
- Personal physical injury / motor vehicle accidents (Canada - British Columbia)
- Labor / labour law (Canada - British Columbia)
Burnaby, BC Canada